Previous Programs (applications no longer accepted)
As a direct result of the ongoing Covid-19 Pandemic and previous multiple stay-at-home orders, Qalipu First Nation recognizes that its members have endured financial hardship due to an unexpected rise in the cost of heating and running their homes. To support its membership through these unprecedented times, Qalipu First Nation is pleased to host a random draw to disperse a one-time payment up to $200 to successful applicants towards their incurred Home Heat & Energy Costs. The draw will extend until funds are exhausted.
Here are the details you will need to know to enter the draw for the Residential Home Heat & Energy Rebate:
- Program is open to Qalipu First Nation (QFN) members residing in Canada for a minimum of (12) consecutive months prior to date of the application.
- Applicants will be required to provide proof of service charges in the form of a receipt or invoice from a registered home heat or energy provider with a minimum total of $200 charges between April 1st – September 1st, 2021 (ex. NL Power, Irving Oil, Superior Propane etc.).
- Online application collection will be open for three weeks: Aug 11th – September 1st, 2021, at 4pm.
- Paper/mail in applications will need to be post marked by September 1st, 2021, at 4pm.
- Paper/mail in applications will not be accepted after September 7th, 2021, at 4pm.
- Limit of one application per member. Duplicate applications will be removed from draw. In the event duplicate applications are received, QFN will consider the first application received as the valid submission.
- All applications will require: Name, Accurate Shipping/Mailing address, Street Address (if different from mailing address), Band #, Phone Number and/or email address. Incomplete applications will be removed from draw.
- While all member applications will be accepted, only one successful applicant per household is permitted. If additional applications are subsequently drawn from the same household, they will be considered ineligible.
- Random draw will take place on September 8th, 2021.
- Due to privacy reasons a list of winners will not be posted and only the successful applicants will be contacted.
Complete one of the following form options to apply:
To apply online
To download and print application
Please complete all sections of the application. Applications that are unsigned or incomplete will NOT be accepted. Faxed applications will NOT be accepted.
FAQ’s for Residential Home Heat & Energy Program
If you require assistance, please contact a member of our COVID-19 Support Team at 709-634-4577, 709-393-6777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Qalipu First Nation Band members, who were essential workers during the COVID-19 pandemic, and incurred childcare costs, are eligible to apply for up to $200 in monthly benefits per child (ages 0-13). This benefit can be paid retroactively starting in April 2020 and will require a letter from the members’ employer verifying their status as an essential worker (Essential Worker Verification Form included in application), and childcare receipts. This benefit will be paid until the available support fund has been fully allocated.
- As of February 15, 2021, band members aged 60+ are eligible for a monthly subsidy valued at $50 (per household) to support travel for the purchase of groceries and other essential items during the pandemic. This benefit will run until the available fund has been fully allocated.
- Seniors who require a taxi to travel may request a pre-paid shuttle/taxi in lieu of the $50.00 subsidy.
- If a shuttle/taxi is required, you may contact our COVID-19 Support Team at 709-634-5163.
- Shuttle/Taxi Trips must be pre-approved and submitted as soon as possible, as this program is a first come first serve basis. Allocated funds will be disbursed until total funds are exhausted.
- Limit of one trip per month, per household.
- Member’s must apply each month to receive the vulnerable population essential travel reimbursement.
- Remember to include your Band registration (or identification)
- Ensure you have completed all sections of your reimbursement form and signed where applicable to avoid your claim being returned to you for further revision and subsequent delay.
I didn’t submit an Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form when I applied for benefits, and Qalipu does not have my direct deposit information on file from a previous transaction. Where should I send the form now if I want to receive my benefits?
If we do not have EFT information on file for you and you did not include it in your application, we will send a cheque in the mail.
I submitted my application and I want to know if you received it. I called/sent an email and have not received confirmation that you received my application. What’s going on?
We have received thousands of applications and do not have enough staff resources to search for individual applications. This means we are not able to provide verification of received applications. When you apply online, you will know your application was received by the confirmation message that reads Thank you, your message has been sent.
Since our office locations are closed, we encourage you to ask someone in your family or a friend to help fill out the form online on your behalf. Many seniors have applied for the travel benefit this way.
If you are unable to do this, you can request a form be mailed to you by calling 634-5163 and leaving a message. We will respond as quickly as resources permit.
Yes. Applications for February do not carry forward beyond this month and so on. You must apply each month.
No. The travel benefit for seniors is like a reimbursement; it goes through Accounts Payable, does not require a SIN and does not lead to the generation of a T4.
We are unsure at this time whether members will be taxed on the childcare benefit. Once we receive a response from the Canada Revenue Agency, we will post an update.
We have a limited amount of money for these benefits currently, however we are seeking additional funds. We know that the demand for these benefits is there, and now that the program has been established, we will be working with our partners in seeking additional funds to carry this program for a longer period of time.
We are working to keep things moving and aim to process payment within 6-8 weeks of receipt of your application.
Can I submit my application for the Essential Worker Childcare Benefit now, and submit the supporting documents (like the confirmation from my employer) later?
No. Please submit your complete application. Partially complete applications will be rejected.
For the Essential Worker Childcare Benefit, can I submit one receipt for the whole year or do I need a receipt for each month?
Yes, you can submit a receipt for the whole year. Please ensure that the name on the receipt matches the name of the applicant, that it shows the date(s) for which the service was provided, the name of the provider, the date of the receipt, and has an invoice number.
I realized after I sent my application that I made an error or forgot to attach something. Can I submit this now?
No, due to the high volume of applications and limited staff resources we cannot accept incomplete or incorrect applications and go looking for the other information. Incomplete applications will be rejected. You will still be able to apply again.
We require all invoices, receipts to have a unique identification number (Receipt Number/Invoice Number). These unique numbers allow us to identify invoices/receipts that have already been reimbursed or outstanding. This is a requirement of all departments within QFN. It ensures accountability.
The program is modeled after a NL program: Essential Worker Child Care Service. At the time of proposal this program was ending, and we noted a need to continue the support. We adapted the programs to meet our community needs.
I’m rotational worker or I work one week and am off another. How does the Essential Worker Childcare help me?
If your employer deems you an essential worker. Have your employer identify the weeks that you are required to report to the worksite. The program is designed to support members that are required to report to work and can not work from home.
Can I access the QFN Essential Worker Childcare program while I’m on Employment Insurance, Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefits, Canada Recovery Sickness Benefits, maternity, parental, medical, or other types of leaves?
No, as you are on leave from your employment. The program eligibility is for members who are required to report to work and have been deemed essential to the employers operations.
I’m just finding out about the QFN Vulnerable Population Essential Transportation Reimbursement Program. Can I apply for past months, is it retroactive?
Unfortunately, no. As the pandemic level changes and we move into the next wave(s) of Covid-19, we need to ensure that QFN seniors are supported by having financial barriers reduced relating to accessing essential supplies. Therefore, there is an option for $50 travel subsidy and prearranged shuttle/taxi service. To ensure accessibility, the program is designed to support seniors monthly.
I do not have a Band number (034XXXXXXX), but I have Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada file number. Can I use that to access the QFN COVID-19 programs?
If we can not validate your Band Membership, we can not provide support under these programs. Both the Essential Worker Childcare and Vulnerable Population Essential Transportation Reimbursement Program are for members only, in Canada. This is part of the funding requirement.
We ask that members do not do this as it will increase the volume of applications, and the application will be flagged as a duplicate. We encourage members to submit online.
By submitting online, you are declaring and authorizing QFN to process your application. This includes auditing. Your authorization allows us to collect information from you (including receipts) for services provided to you. The release of any records that are relevant to the processing and payment of this claim to Qalipu First Nation, it is agents or contractors, or Regulatory Body. You’re declaring the information that you submit online to be true and accurate and verifying that it does not contain a claim for any benefit or service previously paid for by Qalipu First Nation or by any other plan(s)/program(s) that is noted in the statement or explanations of benefits.