Non-Insured Health Benefits


What is the Non-Insured Health Benefits Program?

Health Canada provides eligible First Nations people and Inuit with a specified range of medically necessary health-related goods and services when they are not covered through private insurance plans or provincial/territorial health and social programs.

Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) include prescription drugs, over-the-counter medication, medical supplies and equipment, short-term crisis counselling, dental care, vision care, and medical transportation.


Who is an Eligible Recipient?

An eligible recipient is someone who is entitled to receive benefits such as vision care, prescription drugs or other benefits or services from the NIHB Program.

An eligible recipient must be identified as a resident of Canada and one of the following:

  • A registered Indian according to the Indian Act;
  • An Inuk recognized by one of the Inuit Land Claim organizations; or
  • An infant less than one year of age, whose parent is an eligible recipient.

When recipients are eligible for benefits under a private health care plan, or public health or social program, claims must be submitted to these plans and programs first before submitting them to the Non-Insured Health Benefits Program.


FAQ’S Non Insured Health Benefits

1. If I have an existing Private Insurance and they cover 80% of my Medical expenses would NIHB cover the remaining 20%?

Yes, they would cover the remaining expenses if the item is an eligible benefit under NIHB.


2. Should I cancel my private Insurance?

It is suggested that you keep your existing Insurance in case NIHB does not cover expenses that are covered by your existing insurance.


3. If I am a seasonal worker will I still be covered by NIHB?

When you become a member of a band you are covered with NIHB the entire time of your membership as a Band Member as long as you are living in Canada and have provincial/territorial health coverage.


4. Are Generic Drugs covered as an alternative?



5. Are Insulin Pumps covered?

Insulin Pumps are an eligible benefit and requests for Insulin Pumps are reviewed on a case by case basis.


6. Are orthotics shoes covered?

Only if they are custom made. Due to specific criteria that need to be met by the provider and the prescriber, NIHB should be contacted prior to purchasing custom orthotic shoes to ensure eligibility.


7. Are you covered with NIHB if you’re outside the country?

No, you are not eligible to receive benefits through the NIHB program if you are outside of Canada. However, the cost of private health insurance for approved students and seasonal migrant workers may be considered.


8. Are medical supplies and equipment covered?

Yes if they are prescribed by a Medical Doctor/Nurse Practitioner and if the item is an eligible benefit.


9. If my home needs wheel chair accessibility is this covered?

No, not by Health Canada. You may want to contact Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) to see if this is covered through their program. Please contact AANDC at 1-800-567-9604.


10. Is NIHB covered across Canada?

Yes, NIHB is a National program across Canada. However, there may be differences in the rates paid due to the various agreements negotiated with the various provinces /territories.


11. Are private rooms in a Hospital covered?

No, coverage of hospital rooms is done through provincial insurance.


12. Is Insurance coverage co-ordinated?

Yes, you submit to your private insurance first then submit the remainder amount to the NIHB. The request will be reviewed and eligible benefits may be reimbursed.



General Reimbursement (PDF, 94 KB)
Medical Transportation Reimbursement
(PDF, 33 KB)
Request for Non-Medical Escort (PDF, 87 KB)
Additional Appointments Form (PDF, 21KB)
NIHB – Updated Private Vehicle Kilometric Rates (PDF)
Changes in coverage for Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) (PDF)
Travel Rates Update (PDF)


For additional information please access the information below or contact

Non-Insured Health Benefits Navigator (PowerPoint Presentation, 729 KB)
Centralization of Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Dental Predetermination Services in Ottawa
Newsletter – Opioid Dispensing Frequency – February 2014 (PDF)
Diabetic Test Strips – Update for Clients (PDF)
Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Program: A Guide for NIHB Clients on Blood Glucose Test Strips (PDF)



Howard Thistle
NIHB Navigator
Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nations
45 Spruce Aven
Glenwood, NL  A0G 2K0
Phone: 709-679-5743

Toll Free: 855-675-5743
Email: hthistle@qalipu.ca


For Members who are experiencing a Medical Emergency after regular work hours and need assistance please contact:

Katie Dicker-Senior Aboriginal Patient Navigator
Health Science Center
Office: 709 777 2199
Fax: 709 777 2210
E-mail: Katie.dicker@easternhealth.ca


Solomon Semigak-Aboriginal Patient Navigator
Health Science Center
Office: 709 777 2110
Fax: 709 777 2210
E-mail: Solomon.semigak@easternhealth.ca