Reassessment Based on Disability
- The Government of Canada and Federation of Newfoundland Indians are implementing an initiative to accommodate people:
whose application for founding membership was denied based on the group acceptance criterion (point system);
- who had a disability that significantly restricted or prohibited travel for a substantial portion of the period from 2006 and September 22, 2011
- who were unable, based on their disability to meet the requirements of the point system because of that travel restriction.
The people affected by this situation received a letter on July 31, 2021, explaining steps to follow to request a reassessment as well as how the enrolment committee will reassess files.
The reassessment is based on the following scenarios:
- Scenario A: Your disability significantly restricted or prohibited from travel for much of the period from 2006 to September 22, 2011.
- Scenario B: Your disability required you to move from in or around one of the 67 geographic locations of the Mi’kmaq Group of Indians on the island of Newfoundland to accommodate your disability within the period from 2006 to September 22, 2011.
- Scenario C: Your disability required you to move from elsewhere on the island of Newfoundland to accommodate your disability within the period from 2006 to September 22, 2011.
If one of the above scenarios applies to you and you would like a reassessment, please send us the Disability Declaration form completed by a medical provider and all documentation supporting your request. For details on what documents are required as well as the list of acceptable communities, please visit the instructions page of the Disability Declaration form.
In order for your application to be reassessed, your application must be sent and postmarked no later than September 14, 2021. Any request for reassessment received after the deadline will not be considered by the enrolment committee.
If you have any questions, please call the Government of Canada’s Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation toll-free line (1-800-561-2266; TTY: 1-800-465-7735).
Quick link to print the Disability Declaration form: https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/DAM/DAM-ISC-SAC/DAM-FNDNG/STAGING/texte-text/qalipu-83-181-prt_1627920385741_eng.pdf
Quick link to print the instructions for the Disability Declaration form: https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/DAM/DAM-ISC-SAC/DAM-FNDNG/STAGING/texte-text/qalipu-83-181-instructions_1627920283451_eng.pdf