Youth Summer Employment Program (YSEP)
Qalipu First Nation is seeking applications from organizations who are interested in our Youth Summer Employment Program (YSEP).
Education & Training administers a number of education, training and employment initiatives. One of these initiatives is the Youth Summer Employment Program (YSEP). The YSEP has been in existence for over 10 (ten) years and was introduced by the Federation of Newfoundland Indians under a funding arrangement with Service Canada. This program has been successful in improving employability skills of Aboriginal youth that will assist them to succeed in the workforce. Additionally, students are provided with tools that will help them advance their education.
The Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation Band will be responsible for the financial management of the student. Any expenses over and above wages and MERC costs will be the responsibility of the organization. If approved, the organization will be responsible for the following:
- Recruiting and selecting a student that meets all of the eligibility criteria and ensuring the student accurately completes the student application and all necessary documentation is submitted to Qalipu First Nation;
- Ensuring student completes a Qalipu Employee Information Form and Banking Information Form before employment begins;
- Qalipu First Nation is responsible for minimum wage and MERC. Any expenses above this are the responsibility of the employer;
- Providing adequate supervision to the student and ensuring a safe work environment;
- Providing any tools or materials;
- Providing any necessary training;
- Providing weekly time sheets (due each Monday at noon);
- Providing weekly reports consisting of but not limited to: the student’s day-to-day activities and an overview of the student’s performance; and,
- Ensuring the summer student completes a survey during the last week of their employment.
To be eligible for summer employment through the ISETP Youth Program, a student:
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 29 (inclusive);
- Must be planning to return to full-time studies in September 2019;
- Must have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year; and
- Be a member of the Qalipu First Nation or Self-Identified Indigenous Person (students are asked to indicate on their cover letter their Indigenous Ancestry)
Please apply as soon as possible but no later than 12:00 P.M. on Friday April 5, 2019. To apply, you must fill out the YSEP Employer Application. You must also include a letter of how a summer student would be beneficial to your organization and the community. Applications can be found by clicking here
Please direct inquiries and applications to:
Education & Training Attention:
3 Church Street
Corner Brook, NL
Application Evaluation and Selection Process
Qalipu First Nation will target students living in each of the nine (9) wards: Benoit’s Cove, Corner Brook, Exploits, Flat Bay, Gander Bay, Glenwood, Port au Port, Stephenville and St. George’s.
Applications received by closing time will be screened for completeness. Qalipu First Nation reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to determine whether or not any proposal is complete. If your organization requires more than one (1) summer student, please indicate so under additional information if the job title, description, hourly wage, weekly hours and number of weeks are the same. If you’re seeking more than one (1) student for different positions, you will need to provide an application for each position.
Approvals should be finalized by April 19th, 2019. Successful organizations will be notified the following week; however, approvals may continue into June and early July to fill declines. Organizations will then be given until noon on May 17th, 2019 to recruit and select a student. Student application forms, student resumes and cover letter and student’s confirmation of full-time studies must be received by 4:00 P.M. on May 24th, 2019. If more time is needed, please advise Qalipu First Nation immediately. If an approved student declines a placement or terminates early, the organization must notify Education & Training immediately. The organization may NOT fill the position with another student unless granted approval by Qalipu First Nation.
RCMP/Qalipu First Nation Summer Student Program
Job Description: The First Nation Band and the RCMP are working together to build a worthwhile work experience for aboriginal youth who are interested in a career in policing and/or justice. This exciting job opportunity will give you an insightful look at the RCMP and may help you decide if this is a career opportunity you wish to pursue. This job opportunity is nine (9) weeks in duration from June-August 2020. Successful applicants will attend a one week training session at the RCMP Headquarters in St. John’s prior to being placed at the RCMP detachment closest to their location. This program is a great stepping stone for individuals interested in pursuing a career with the RCMP.
Location of Position: For the Summer of 2020, successful applicants are placed in locations near their hometown within the RCMP jurisdictions of Grand Falls, Stephenville, Deer Lake, Corner Brook, Gander, Bay Roberts and Harbour Grace.
Eligibility Criteria: Interested applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have completed high school
- Be a member of the Qalipu First Nation Band or Self-Identified Person (students are asked to indicate on their cover letter their Indigenous Ancentry)
- Be between the ages of 19-29 as of June 30, 2020
- Not have a criminal record
- Currently registered as a full-time student
- Be planning to attend full-time studies in September
- Valid drivers’ licence
Salary Scale: $ 16.00 per hour which includes 4% vacation pay @ 40 hours per week for 9 weeks.
Apply: Please apply with resume, covering letter, a completed RCMP/Qalipu First Nation Summer Student Program Employment Application, Confirmation of Enrollment into full-time studies and a current Certificate of Conduct by mail or in person to:
Education & Training RCMP Summer Student Program
Attention: Vickie MacDonald 3 Church Street,
Corner Brook, NL A2H 2Z4
Deadline: All applications must be received by 4:00 P.M. on Friday February 21, 2020.
Thank you to all applicants who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.