Upcoming Changes to NIHB Eyewear Coverage
Did you know that you may be eligible for NIHB coverage for corrective eyewear (glasses and contact lenses)? NIHB has made changes to the program. You will now have more choices/coverage with the purchase of any type of prescription eyewear. These rates will be in effect for eyewear ordered on or after June 29, 2019:
|Standard Coverage Amount||$275||For prescriptions that are less than ±7.0 (minimum prescription strength will continue to apply). This is the most common rate.|
|High Index Coverage Amount||$415||For prescriptions that are ±7.00 or higher.|
How often is prescription eyewear covered?
- How often you are covered for eyewear will not change.
- Children 0-17 years are eligible once a year;
- individuals 18 years and older are eligible once every two years;
- individuals whose prescription changes a lot may be eligible for early replacement of the lenses. However, frequency periods will be changed to a calendar year basis.
- no change to the policy on exceptions.
Individual in the Atlantic region can contact their regional office for information on applicable rates and about these changes. Toll-free: 1-800-565-3294, or for more information please visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/indigenous-services-canada/services/first-nations-inuit-health/non-insured-health-benefits/benefits-information/non-insured-health-benefits-program-update-first-nations-inuit-health-canada.html#s19-06-1
For full details on NIHB eye and vision care benefit please visit: